Songs for Disciples is pleased to offer these piano accompaniments as a resource that can be used to enhance worship services and to accompany holiday and special observances. Lynn Zeigler, the composer of Songs for Disciples, recorded the hymns, worship service responses, and songs at the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall at Iowa State University.
Charles Kniker has written the texts of the hymns.
These piano accompaniments will be of special benefit for those musicians or congregations who:
- want to hear how the composer suggests the hymns be played
- are at a time without an organist or church musician and wish to play a CD so that the congregation can sing the hymns with accompaniment
- prefer recorded music to printed music to assist choirs and congregations in singing.
Because these hymns will be new to a congregation or choir, Dr. Zeigler plays the entire hymn as an introduction, then once for each verse. In other words, a four-verse hymn will be played five times. Short worship responses are also played more than once.
This first of the four set CD contains thirteen (13) selections that reflect the journey that disciples make from birth to death. There are songs for baptism, confirmation, marriage, healing, and funerals/memorial services.
Special Note: Dr. Kevin Schilling, Associate Professor Emeritus of the Iowa State University Music Department, composed the descants. Some congregations may wish to use the descant versions, others may not.
Content of Volume 1 of 4
- Great Is Our Joy Today! (baptism)
- We Pledge This Day (confirmation)
- We Pledge This Day (descant)
- One and All (communion)
- Hand in Hand (wedding)
- Hand in Hand (descant)
- Ready (healing service, funeral)
- Ready (descant)
- Rising Again (funeral/memorial service)
- We Now Give You Thanks (memorial service)
- Let Me Be a Friend (Witness) (funeral)
- My Heart Still Sings II (memorial service or funeral for church member)
- My Heart Still Sings II (descant)
- My Heart Still Sings III (memorial service or funeral for non-religious service)
- My Heart Still Sings III (descant)
- Here We Reach Out (church anniversary)
- Here We Reach Out (descant)
- Here Hearts Unfold (building dedication)
- Yes, I Will Serve (ordination, commissioning)
1) Some selections are offered in two versions, one with and one without a descant. The descants are always played on the final verse of the hymn.
2) A background page and music are available on www.songsfordisciples.com or OneLicense.net.